The Okanagan College TESOL certificate is an online 180‐hour program exploring the theories, techniques and methods of teaching the four basic language skills; listening, speaking reading and writing. The grammatical, lexical and phonetic systems of the English language are also studied with the end goal of understanding them enough to explain them. The communicative approach is emphasized using integrated lesson planning. Inter-cultural awareness and competence are also included in the program.
The program includes:
(1) Harmer, J. (2007). The practice of English language teaching 4thEdition.
Essex, England: Pearson Education Ltd. (AKA: Harmer #1)
(2) Harmer, J. (2007). How to teach English. Essex, England: Pearson Education
Ltd. (AKA: Harmer #2)
(1) A Student Manual for each of the 13 courses
(2) Thirteen video lessons with copies of the PowerPoint slides used during the video lecture
(3) Three versions of an exam after each video lesson